Changing Lives One Stitch at a Time
The sewing program began with sewing classes in 2012. Since that time a number of local women have become wonderful sewists and have also learned about marketing, display, and operating a business. The sewing group sells their products at the Tepehua Treasures Thrift Shop in Riberas.
To empower local women with sewing and business knowledge
To provide a source or revenue for the women and their families
To expand the sewing program to include more women in the future
The women learn skills to allow them to make school uniforms, quilts, as well as clothing for their family.
How can you support us?
Purchase our quality crafted products at the Tepehua Treasures thrift shop in Riberas
Stop by our booth at the many locale events such as the Chili Cook Off, holiday fairs, etc.
Donate fabric or craft items to the Tepehua Treasures thrift shop. They will find their way to us! Support Tepehua Community Center, the home of our sewing program.
Do you want further information, have an interest in volunteering, or would you like a tour? Contact Mary Ruzich at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 541 690 2771.
The bazaar within the community center allows people to purchase used clothing as well as other items at very discounted prices. A popular benefit, for those that attend counseling or work as a volunteer in various Tepehua programs, is they receive coupons for use in the bazaar in reward for their efforts.
- Families with children not enrolled in school receive help in applying for and obtaining proper paperwork to allow them to attend. If the family doesn’t have an official birth certificate or other necessary documents the center can help them obtain them so the children can get enrolled.
- English classes allow the young people of Tepehua the opportunity to learn English with the hope that it will provide them with additional opportunities.
- The education program also teaches illiterate parents how to read, vocational training, and remedial school help and computer programs for the young.
Medical and Dental
- Free medical, dental and maternal health care is provided at the clinic.
- Counseling – This program educates the community on a wide range of topics such as prenatal care, nutrition, drug and alcohol abuse as well as spousal and child abuse.
- Inoculations with DIF – We have teamed up with DIF to have them bring free vaccinations for the children of Tepehua to the center. This is much easier for the families rather than having to go to lower Chapala and assures a higher child vaccination rate.
- Cancer Prevention and Intervention Classes – These classes educate the women in the village in understanding women’s health issues such as self-detection of breast cancer, sexually transmitted disease prevention, and the value of planned parenthood.
- Maternal Health Unit – Our clinic is working to provide prenatal care to the women of Tepehua.
- Bathing program – This program addresses the hygienic needs of families who, because of extreme poverty, have no water for bathing.
- Elderly nutrition program – This program ensures that the nutritional needs of the elderly, sick, and extremely poor are met. Volunteers make homemade soup which is then distributed as needed.